In this competitive job market employers look for soft skills such as collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creativity. These days, the ability to collaborate is one of the most valuable skills you can bring to your job search. It is also one of the skills that we look for when placing candidates. So how do you go about demonstrating your willingness to collaborate?
Collaboration on the job is working successfully with other people to achieve or create something. It often means that you focus on the end goal or the greater good of the project or company rather than your individual contribution, or each small step along the way. Just like in sports, collaboration really comes down to good communication and solid relationships with your teammates to gain the win.
The following are essential to collaboration:
- listening carefully to understand the larger goal;
- communicating effectively in order to identify and solve problems;
- giving and seeking input from others;
- sharing information and ideas clearly;
- asking for help when needed; and,
- seeing things from others’ perspective as you work with them.
All of these skills can be practiced and applied when working with us at Brooks Staffing to help you find a job!
At Brooks Staffing, our goal is to find the best job placement for you based on your unique skills and your goals. During the process of completing our application and skills assessment(s) and interviewing, you can begin to show that you have these highly desirable soft skills by ‘collaborating’ with us. When we work collaboratively, you should focus on the overall goal of the process instead of each individual step. Think of us as partners as we work to achieve the goal of placing you in a job that you’re excited about.
Here are some ways that you can begin to collaborate with us more effectively:
- Fill out all the necessary forms to the best of your ability, preferably in advance of your appointment
- Show up on time
- Dress appropriately for all meetings – remember, dress for the job you want, not the job you have
- Always bring a smile and a positive attitude
- Ask questions when you need more information
- If something doesn’t work for you, let us know so that we can work with you to come to a solution
The good news is that collaboration is a skill that you can practice and improve upon as you work with us to find your next job!